Tuesday, July 27, 2010

My pain

I can show you every medical document and personal stories about what living with multiple chronic illnesses is all about. I can plead with my doctors to understand. But the truth is they never will.....you never will, unless of course you are like me.

I have read so many websites, medical journals, personal stories as well as continuing to talk to others in the medical profession. The truth is the knowledge all boils down to this.

This is my understanding of what living with Dysautonomia is like;

You will suffer everyday of your life. It's like having the flu, only much worse. Everyday is different. Some days you have energy others you are too sick to lift your head up. There is no cure, and no real treatment. And for myself all the "typical" treatments dont work...so i am in stuck in limbo. Everyday i am in pain on a varying degree, if you ever saw me someone and said hi you would have no idea how sick i really am.
I am constantly nauseous.....think of the morning sickness you had during your pregnancy *for the women* or when you had that horrible stomach bug *for everyone else*. Only instead of beginning and end.....its everyday all the time. These are the symptoms I personally deal with pretty much daily


  

  • *headache (sometimes migraines, or pressure headaches that leave me screaming in pain)
    *Diarehha (sometimes 10-12 bowel movements a day)
    *stomach pain/cramping
     *Nausea

    *vertigo (like the room is spinning)
    *dizziness
    *Syncope (passing out, blacking out, sometimes up to 8 times a day
    *breathing trouble (when sitting upright or standing for too long)
    *chest pain (like I'm having a heart attack)
    *trouble concertrating (like ADD)
    *memory issues (often as severe as not knowing where i am)
    *seizures
    *muscle spasms
    *sweating too much
    *extreme fatigue (where i literally feel that if i dont sleep right that second i will die)
    *insomnia
    *vision issues (blurry, double vision, temp blindness)
    *joint pain
    *muscle pain
    *constant dehydration (requiring frequent ER visits to get hydrated)
    *peeing literally every 15 minutes
    *world recall issues (trouble finding the right words)
    *irritability 
    * mood swings
    * joints sublaxing (partial dislocation and yes i put the joint back in)
    * vomiting
    *breathing problems
    *Tachycardia (rapid heart beat the highest recorded was 195)
    *blood pressure issues (lowest recorded was 75/25 highest was 155/120)
    *circulatory issues
    *Acid Reflux
    *tremors
    *pupils changing size randomly (i look high most of the time)
    *Heat intolerant (can't stand anything over 65 degrees)


    to name a few......

    It's a living hell, i wont lie. I got sick when i was 14 (from what i remember) thats when i started passing out. It took 5 years later to finally hear the term 'Dysautonomia'. I am now going into year 6 of being sick and now im wheelchair bound and bedridden....and im only 20 years old

    I fight with my insurance and doctors more then i socialize. I lost all of my friends and family to this illness. I was misdiagnosed Bipolar before finally realizing that no....I am NOT Bipolar I am in fact sick. I have been treated very badly by many doctors. No one can tell me what caused this, no one can prove to me this won't kill me directly or in directly. Everyday is a new adventure...literally.

    I am getting completely tired.....this is enough for tonight.....more blogs to come.....

    1 comment:

    Defy Gravity said...

    Katie! Thanks for being so open and honest, I think a lot of us can identify with the struggles of being young and sick at the same time. It is never easy. Keep on writing, I love reading your posts!